Saturday brings the sixth annual “Museum Day” across the country, in which hundreds of museums across the country offer free admission to re-introduce the public to their collections. This year, there are nine participating museums in Hawaii:
- ‘Iolani Palace (Honolulu)
- Bailey House Museum (Maui)
- Honolulu Academy of Arts (Honolulu)
- Mission Houses Museum (Honolulu)
- Pacific Aviation Museum (Honolulu)
- Queen Emma Summer Palace (Honolulu)
- The Contemporary Museum (Honolulu)
- Tropic Lightning Museum (Honolulu)
- University of Hawaii Art Gallery (Honolulu)
Because the UH Art Gallery is closed on Saturdays, it will observe “Museum Day” on Sunday, instead. ‘Iolani Palace and Bailey House are new additions compared to last year, but unlike last year, neither Hawaii Theatre nor the Hawaii State Art Museum are participating.
In order to take advantage of “Museum Day,” you need to register online to get your ticket (good for admission for two people). You’ll need to print and bring your ticket with you to the museum of your choice.