Bookmarks for January 20th
When I’m not blogging, I’m browsing. Here are sites and pages that I bookmarked on January 20th:
- City’s first ‘Hackathon’ to build new tools: The “Hackathon” is a free event that is open to anyone with an idea or an interest in contributing to tools that can better connect citizens with government information and services.
- Unconferenz | A grassroots technology gathering: Save the date! Feb. 25, 2012. Be a catalyst. Create an environment for interaction. Provide support for people and innovation. Start a movement.
- NASA’s G-III Returns from Hawaii Volcano Radar Study: The study focused on the Kilauea volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii, the state’s most active volcano, although science data flight lines were flown over nearby volcanoes including Mauna Loa, Mauna Kea, Hualalai and Kohala.
- China, India to jump forward in astronomy with participation in Hawaii telescope project: The University of California system, the California Institute of Technology and the Association of Canadian Universities for Research in Astronomy founded the telescope, which is expected to be finished in 2018.
- Hawaii Island Beacon Community Launches North Hawaii Hospital Information Exchange: NHCH has pioneered the use of Electronic Health Records (EHR) by North Hawai‘i providers and helped to achieve a nearly 95 percent adoption rate—one of the highest for any community nationwide.
- Kona farmers want more coffee labeling details: The Kona Coffee Farmers Association said a bill it has drafted would also identify where the remainder of the blend is grown. An example label would read, “90 percent Panamanian coffee, 10 percent Kona coffee.”
- UH research vessel returns home safely after taking on water: The Coast Guard was called after water began gushing on board at a rate of 400 gallons per hour. The vessel was about 60 to 70 miles north of Turtle Bay at a research site called Station Aloha.
- Molecular pathway may temper heart attack damage: A new study by UH researchers identifies a molecular pathway that may help reduce the damaging effects of an enlarged heart caused by hypertension or a heart attack.
- UH Manoa Debuts High-Tech Hospital Simuation Center: UH Manoa debuted a brand new nursing simulation center that is the most modern facility in the nation. It looks and feels like a hospital, but it’s actually on the campus of U.H. Manoa.
- First Four Exoplanets of 2012 Discovered: This most recent discovery doesn’t come from NASA’s Kepler space telescope team or any other space telescope, it comes from a ground-based telescope system maintained by the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.
- The Tallest Mountains in the Solar System: Earth just squeaks into this top ten list with this active volcano on the island of Hawaii, one of many active and dormant volcanoes created by a hotspot beneath the Pacific Ocean plate.
- Astronomers reach new frontiers of dark matter: The team’s result has been suspected for a long time from studies based on computer simulations, but was difficult to verify owing to the invisible nature of dark matter. This is the first direct glimpse at dark matter on large scales showing the cosmic web in all directions.
- Another outbreak of coral disease hits the reefs of Kaneohe Bay: In March 2010 an outbreak of a disease called acute Montipora White Syndrome (MWS) was discovered affecting coral reefs in Kaneohe Bay, Oahu. Follow-up surveys found that the disease left trails of rubble in its wake.
Check out all my bookmarks on Delicious.