Bookmarks for August 17th
When I’m not blogging, I’m browsing. Here are sites and pages that I bookmarked on August 17th:
- Report charts new course for US astronomy: The report pointedly stresses the need for funding agencies to select between the two large-scale, US-led facilities currently under development — the proposed Thirty Meter Telescope on Mauna Kea and the Giant Magellan Telescope in Chile.
- Discovery of first Trojan asteroid in a stable zone near Neptune: Scott Sheppard from the Carnegie Institution in Washington, D.C., and Chad Trujillo from the Gemini Observatory in Hilo, Hawaii, have discovered the first Trojan asteroid at a difficult-to-detect stable spot near Neptune.
- Hawaii sugar grower working to power Navy: The Navy will spend at least $10 million over the next five years to fund research and development at Maui cane fields for crops capable of fueling Navy fighter jets and ships.
- Southern Cross to upgrade, not build?: One option believed to have been under consideration was the construction of a second “triangle” between New Zealand, Australia and Hawaii.
- Creation of the first frozen repository for Hawaiian coral: Scientists at the Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology have created the first frozen bank for Hawaiian corals in an attempt to protect them from extinction and to preserve their diversity.
- Military adopts new media: The Pentagon is making a big push into new media and social media, and the old bugles and bulletin boards have given ways to blogs, BlackBerries and tweets.
- Islanders and Tourists with Brain Cancer to Benefit from Installment of Gamma Knife: Pragmatic patients with cancer are increasingly combining needed therapy with vacations in popular destinations, a trend known as medical tourism.
- Digital road rage: I’m so mad, I’ll do a web post: Ranting on the internet is as common as ice in a freezer, but the possibility of diverting one’s anger away from the driver’s seat and toward the webisphere is an intriguing concept and one that could actually reap tangible results in the real world.
Check out all my bookmarks on Delicious.