HVCA Announces 2016 ‘Deal of the Year’ Awards
The 16th Annual Hawaii Venture Capital Association Deal of the Year Awards were presented last night at the Waialae Country Club. I was there to support my friend and Smart Yields cofounder Vincent Kimura, who was nominated forÂ â€” and won!Â â€” the award for Cleantech/Agtech Entrepreneur of the Year.
While the categoriesÂ can change from year to year, the “Deal of the Year” award has been the centerpiece of the HVCA recognition program since the first awards were given out.
“Since 2000, HVCA has honored the entrepreneurs whose ingenuity, spirit of innovation and discipline have benefited us all,” notes the association. “They are visionaries. They are people of passion. And they have the ambition, drive and talent to take an idea and create a market where none existed before.”
I posted the winners as they were announced on Twitter, and here they are for the record.
2016 Startup Paradise Champion of the Year
- Sen. Glenn Wakai WINNER!
2016 People’s Choice Startup of the Year
2016 Life Sciences Entrepreneur of the Year
2016 Student Entrepreneur of the Year
- Traven Watase of Scholar’s App WINNER!
- Buddy, Koko & Kyndra Leong of Menehunes
- Haelee Tallett of Ocean Creations
2016 Tech Entrepreneurs of the Year
2016 Cleantech/Ag Entrepreneur of the Year
- Vincent Kimura of Smart Yields WINNER!
- Dennis Furukawa of RealGreen Power
- Bobby Farias & Jack Beuttell of Kunoa Cattle
2016 Social Impact Entrepreneur of the Year
2016 Entrepreneur of the Year
- Garrett W. Marrero of Maui Brewing Co. WINNER!
- Brandon Bennett, Carey Bennett & Alan Solidum of AreaMetrics
- Tina Fitch, Mark Quezada & Tiffany Quezada of Hobnob