Bookmarks for November 17th
When I’m not blogging, I’m browsing. Here are sites and pages that I bookmarked on November 17th:
- New Technology Reveals Extent of Early Hawaiian Agricultural Systems: Early Hawaiian agriculture was far more extensive and complex than anyone has fully understood, according to new research by scientists blending state-of-the-art technologies with traditional dirt archaeology.
- 2 Japanese subs sunk after World War II found: U.S. researchers said Thursday that they have located the remains of two high-tech Japanese submarines that were scuttled by the U.S. Navy off Hawaii in 1946 to prevent the technology from falling into the hands of the Soviet Union at the beginning of the Cold War.
- Sweden returns skulls to Hawaii: Sweden has returned 22 skulls taken from indigenous cemeteries in Hawaii in the 19th Century, in a solemn ceremony at Stockholm’s antiquities museum. Museum director Lars Amreus said he hoped it would “fulfil the spiritual circle” of those whose graves had been violated by Swedish scientists.
- Hawaii’s famed white sandy beaches are shrinking: Geologists say more than 70 percent of Kauai’s beaches are eroding while Oahu has lost a quarter of its sandy shoreline. They warn the problem is only likely to get significantly worse in coming decades as global warming causes sea levels to rise more rapidly.
- Family Start programme under review: New Zealand’s Family Start home visiting programme is under review after it was found the American version failed to reduce child abuse. The New Zealand version was modelled on the Healthy Start from Hawaii.
- 3Com Project With Hawaii Department of Education: Enhance Network Communication, Inc., has engaged in a $500,000 pilot project with 3Com, the Western States Contracting Alliance (WSCA) and the Department of Education in Hawaii to install a 3Com VoIP phone system on Maui.
- Kaiser Hawaiiâ€™s Medicaid plan tops list: The stateâ€™s largest health maintenance organization placed No. 1 for its Medicaid or QUEST plan in the magazineâ€™s 2009-10 Americaâ€™s Best Health Insurance Plan list.
- 2010 Pan Pacific Microelectronics Symposium: The Pan Pacific Microelectronics Symposium & Tabletop Exhibition promotes international technical interchange. The 2010 Pan Pacific Microelectronics Symposium will be held 26-28 January 2010 at the Sheraton Kauai Resort.
Check out all my bookmarks on Delicious.